Senior Tree Officer
About the job
South Oxfordshire and the Vale of White Horse District Councils are seeking an experienced and qualified arborist to lead the council’s Forestry Team. This is an exciting and varied role working with a team of specialist advisers who are helping to shape the future environment of southern Oxfordshire. The role involves working alongside a multi-disciplinary team including Ecologists, Heritage Officers, Urban Designers and Landscape Architects.
Duties will include:
- To be the council’s lead tree professional, responsible for the range of statutory arboricultural duties and legislation relating to the protection of trees.
- Working with the other senior officers to provide consistent and coordinated professional arboricultural advice to planning officers, planning agents, architects, consultants, and councillors on a wide range of development proposals, including large strategic sites and infrastructure projects.
- To line manage the tree officers, including performance management, monitoring, coaching, and mentoring.
- To provide arboricultural reports, statements and evidence, acting as an expert witness representing the council at committee meetings, cabinet meetings, appeal hearings, public inquiries and court appearances.
- To raise public awareness of trees, tree legislation and best practice by providing training for council officers, councillors, town and parishes and other community groups.
You will need a wide range of technical and management experience working within the arboricultural industry, ideally as a consultant or tree officer, with knowledge and understanding of the Town and Country Planning Act and the planning process. A sound understanding of the practical side of arboriculture is also key.
Being a team player with good communication and leadership skills is essential, as the role also involves the line management of 3 other Tree Officers working within a busy Planning Service.