Assistant Arboricultural Consultant WANTED - Chelmsford, Essex
Essex County Council
About the jobEssex County Council has a location to be proud of. Our 1,300 square miles stretch from Constable Country to the Thames Estuary, from the dynamic M11 corridor to the traditional seaside resorts of Clacton and Walton. England’s oldest town, Colchester, and two of its newest – Basildon and Harlow – are right here. Along with the City of Chelmsford, the county town, they form our major population centres. It means real choice and makes Essex the ideal place for your career.
Place Services is a multi-disciplinary consultancy within Essex County Council (ECC) providing planning and environmental services to support the Council, local authorities and other public bodies to deliver its role in sustainable development.
The post holder will provide arboricultural support, including assisting with carrying out tree health and risk assessments, and surveys, and tree management and planting schemes; and undertaking supervised specialist tasks on multi-disciplinary projects.
The role requires a technical practitioner with arboricultural knowledge, including tree management, assessment and survey techniques; legislation, policy, standards, and guidance; information management and communication skills; and a collaborative, enterprising, and client focused approach.
• Contributing, under supervision, to effective delivery of a range of arboriculture services including: assisting with enquiries in relation to trees/vegetation affecting the Public Highway and specifying associated works; assisting with the evaluation and completion of arboricultural assessments and surveys (e.g. tree inventories, tree risk, pests and diseases) of limited scope and complexity; assisting with small-scale and simple tree management and planting projects; and completing supervised tasks as part of multi-disciplinary projects.
• Helping collect, analyse, present and preserve information, evidence (including for insurance claims and TPO enforcement) and advice to recognised standards, reviewing outcomes, and assessing third party compliance.
• Assisting bids for low-value opportunities and helping to monitor contractors and volunteers against specifications, indicators and budgets on low value contracts and minor projects.
• Assisting the development and delivery of promotional and learning material, training activities and events, and engaging with networks, to enhance the recognition and reputation of Place Services.
• Supporting the maintenance of a professional, client-focused culture and improved client relationships, helping secure feedback for continuous improvement.
• Supporting improvements to the effectiveness and efficiency of service delivery.
• Developing own commercial awareness of our business.
• Helping to maintain a collaborative, high-performance culture and improve personal competency, continually seeking to enhance personal performance and practice, securing feedback, and building knowledge and skills.
Preferred SkillsKnowledge, Skills and Experience:
• Educated to level 4 in arboriculture, or equivalent by experience.
• Evidence of continuing professional development with membership of, or working towards membership of, relevant professional body (e.g.TechArbor.A) and working towards qualification as a Professional Tree Inspector.
• Technical practitioner with arboricultural knowledge, including species identification and awareness of tree pests and diseases; standards and guidance; visual tree inspection/arboricultural assessment methodologies; practical tree management operations; tree risk identification and survey techniques; and related office and site-based practices and procedures.
• Able to work at pace, with supervision, and as part of a multi-disciplinary team, meeting deadlines and successfully delivering outcomes.
• Awareness of wellbeing and H&S, with ability to undertake simple risk assessments under supervision and implement safe working practices.
• Understands how to communicate with different audiences, including through the preparation, with supervision, of clear and concise technical advice, documents and reports for straightforward casework and projects.
• Able to establish positive working relationships, with awareness of good client service.
• Able to use common software packages and, under supervision, relevant specialist software (e.g. GIS, AutoCAD, Confirm, Eztreev) to record and present a range of data, and to carry out straightforward analysis and interpretation.
Apply for this job
Apply to the employer directly, click the button below.
Want jobs like this? Use our JOB ALERT system via jobseeker account.
See more Technical Arb jobs
Arbsites Ltd makes no representations or warranties in relation to employment offered or information provided by advertisers. It is the applicant’s duty to fully investigate any company and agree terms before accepting employment.