Arborist / Woodsman | Virginia Water
Green Baize Door Ltd
About the jobWorking on a beautiful privately owned estate, made up of several hundred acres of formal gardens, lawns and woodland, The Aborist / Woodsman will actively support the existing Gardens team by providing in-house specialist knowledge and expertise in arboriculture and woodland management, and assist with general grounds maintenance duties as required.
Principal duties associated with the role, who reporting to the Head Gardener, will include:
1) Day-to-day management of existing small woodlands at various stages of rotation, including selective thinning and management of natural regeneration.
2) In close collaboration with the existing Gardens team, the ongoing management of the ‘woodland’ element of extensive, young, woodland gardens.
3) Planting and protecting young trees; weeding; managing irrigation; etc.
4) A full range of tree management works including basic inspections and associated reporting and record-keeping; climbing; pruning; shaping; felling; etc.
Introducing such a role – in tandem with investing in further training for existing staff – would help to address the following skills gaps/capacity issues:
1) ‘Woodland gardening’, particularly the selection and protection of natural regeneration, formative pruning, etc.
2) Planting, establishing, and maintaining young trees.
3) Small-scale woodland management principles.
4) Increasing in-house arboricultural capabilities.
Preferred SkillsEssential Criteria
1) NPTC Forestry and Arboriculture Level 2 certificates [new codes] 201-210; 212-213; 253-254; 257-258 and Level 3 certificates 2101-2102; 2106-2109 (or equivalent qualifications)
2) LANTRA/NPTC certificates in the use of brush-cutters and trimmers, stump grinders, and wood-chippers
3) PA1 and PA6 pesticide certificates
4) Basic first aid certificate
5) At least three years’ experience in arboriculture and/or woodland management
6) Demonstrable understanding of continuous cover forestry principles
7) Experience of general grounds maintenance
8) Full driving licence (including towing categories B+E)
1) Experience in amenity horticulture
2) Emergency First Aid at Work (EFAW) certificate
3) Any additional NPTC F&A certificates not listed above
Apply for this job
Apply to the employer directly, click the button below.
Want jobs like this? Use our JOB ALERT system via jobseeker account.See more Forestry jobs
Arbsites Ltd makes no representations or warranties in relation to employment offered or information provided by advertisers. It is the applicant’s duty to fully investigate any company and agree terms before accepting employment.