Arborist (Career Grade) Wanted - Wakefield
About the job
An opportunity exists in the Council’s Street Scene Services for a career graded Arborist working within a small team based at our Depot at Monckton Road, Wakefield.
What will be expected from me?
This is a career graded post to allow the postholder to develop within a framework and progress from Grade 4 to Grade 7 (fully qualified Arborist) based on qualifications, skills, knowledge, and experience gained within the Arboricultural Service.
What I might be doing?
The post holder will be working in a small team which prides itself in protecting, maintaining, and improving the districts trees & woodlands.
Work within recognised safe systems and in accordance with all aspects of health and safety legislation always.
Tree maintenance/Tree Planting
All works carried out to BS3998
- Delivering high quality work
- Ensuring effective an efficient delivery of services
- In absence of a supervisor to supervise other arborists and mentor apprentices
- Have an understanding of client and customer requirements in accordance with the Council Customer Care and Equal Opportunities Policies
- Availability to work outside normal working hours to deal with emergencies
- Be part of a 52 week a year Stand by Rota.
The HSE (2007) considers that someone to be competent requires a working knowledge of trees and their defects.
- 2 x GCSE’s grade 9-2 (formerly A*-F), or equivalent in English language and maths or completed a traineeship
- Enrolment for NVQ Level 2 in Forestry/Arboricultural qualification appropriate to the post as well as gaining NPTC certificates in Arboriculture.
- Full current driving license with a maximum of 6 penalty points, to include (Category B + E)
- Demonstrates progression for NVQ Level 2 in Forestry/Arboricultural qualification appropriate to the post as well as gaining NPTC certificates in Arboriculture.
- First Aid Certificate.
- Obtains LANTRA Certificates CS30, CS31, CS32, CS33, CS38, CS39, CS40
- Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC)
- First aid certificate + F
- Demonstrates progression for NVQ Level 2 in Forestry/Arboricultural qualification appropriate to the post.
- Obtains LANTRA Certificates CS41, CS45
- Experience in Arboriculture, forestry, or woodland management
- Qualified to National Standards to operate Arboriculture equipment and machinery
- Obtains NVQ2 Forestry/Arboricultural qualification appropriate to the post or ILM2 or similar supervisory qualification or working towards.
What can I expect?
- This is a full-Time post of 37 hours per week
- 26/29 days (depending on grade) of Holidays plus 8 Bank Holidays
- Support and ongoing training
- Discounted and subsidised public transport (Arriva Bus Annual Travel Ticket, Northern Trains Limited (NTL), MetroCard)
- The Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Great range of benefits including discounted membership to our excellent leisure facilities with free 12 weeks exercise program with a dedicated personal trainer, discounts for a range of retail, entertainment, health and leisure providers, cycle to work scheme and many more.
For further enquiries please contact Tony Harkin, Arbor Operations Officer or Jay Smith, Operations Manager on 03458 506506
Closing date: 22 October 2023.