About the CompanyKirklees is set in the heart of West Yorkshire and has a growing population of 425,500 (source: Kirklees Fact Sheets, Population and households, November 2013).
With the two major centres of Huddersfield and Dewsbury it also encompasses the smaller towns of Batley, Birstall, Cleckheaton, Denby Dale, Heckmondwike, Holmfirth, Kirkburton, Marsden, Meltham, Mirfield and Slaithwaite.
We are a metropolitan single tier authority, the 13th biggest local authority in the UK in terms of population. We have an elected Leader and Cabinet structure, and a very talented and dedicated workforce.
About the jobService Area: Environmental Strategy & Climate Change
Number of Jobs: 2
Location: Lockwood Cemetery, Meltham Road, Lockwood, Huddersfield, HD4 7BQ
Position type: Permanent
Salary: £23,484 - £24,920
Enhancements / additional payments details: Contractual Standby
At Kirklees we want to be innovative and creative in the way we work to deliver our services to our communities and we are always looking for better and smarter ways to work. The Parks and Greenspace Operational Delivery team work together to manage and maintain the councils parks, greenspaces, play areas and trees.
The primary role of the Arborist is to undertake works on behalf of the council working within the Forestry section who are responsible for the management of trees including street trees, Council house gardens, schools, parks and woodlands. You will be required to work at all times in a professional and safe manner and to ensure that all works are undertaken without risk to the public.
As an Arborist, your main duties will include:
- The undertaking of tree surgery work, including planting, felling, sectional dismantling, pruning, crown lifting and thinning, reductions using appropriate climbing techniques by means of ropes and harnesses and associated equipment where necessary.
- The safe use and maintenance of appropriate machinery, tools and equipment.
- The operation of Forestry vehicles, plant and associated equipment including various wood chippers and stump grinding machinery and to include maintenance as appropriate.
- The completion of documentation required to enable the administration of the department to function in respect of providing an audit trail for all works undertaken and to ensure the monitoring of the correct use of resources.
- Co-operation with the management of the service as far as is necessary to enable the responsibilities placed upon the service under the Health and Safety at Work Act to be performed.
- The undertaking of training to attain appropriate certificates relative to the post and ensure that all such certificates are up to date and valid for the operations being carried out.
- Contribute to the improvement of services provided through review of working practices and procedures and effective work/scheme management.
- Given the nature of the role you must be able to work at height and you must be prepared to work in all weather conditions, including adverse weather, as required, during call outs.
You will be required to undertake the standard medical screening and any other medical screening as decided by the Occupational Health Physician.
As part of your work pattern, you will be expected to undertake standby duties working evenings and weekends on a rota basis that is paid extra to the basic salary.
All PPE and climbing equipment will be provided.
Please apply below.
Apply for this job
Apply to the employer directly, click the button below.
Want jobs like this? Use our JOB ALERT system via jobseeker account.
See more Tree Surgery jobs
Arbsites Ltd makes no representations or warranties in relation to employment offered or information provided by advertisers. It is the applicant’s duty to fully investigate any company and agree terms before accepting employment.