Lead Arborist / Arborist Team Leader - Yate, North Bristol
South Gloucestershire Council
About the jobLEAD ARBORIST / ARBORIST TEAM LEADER
Location: Yate, North Bristol
Salary: £21,589 - £24,799
Hours: 37 per week
Generous pension scheme and staff benefits
South Gloucestershire Council delivers the majority of its streets and open spaces services through its well respected StreetCare team, which prides itself on developing staff to provide innovative solutions in providing the best possible outcomes to the people and communities of South Gloucestershire.
As an Arborist Team Leader, you will lead and be responsible for a small arboricultural team onsite undertaking arboricultural duties including climbing, tree pruning, dismantling and felling, ensuring that Health & Safety regulations are followed at all times. This role will require a genuine commitment and offers an exciting challenge and a chance for highly motivated team player to become a part of our respected in house tree team.
The post holder will be competent in the use of all arboricultural equipment with a proven knowledge of all aspects of tree work. You will hold the required NPTC Certificates and will have a clean driving license. You will need to be flexible and reliable and able to work at various locations across the authority.
• Supervising a small team of staff, including allocating work and ensuring that team members have clear instructions.
• Make day to day decisions associated with routine operational tasks and priorities for the team and self and where appropriate suggestions are made to improve service standards.
• Ensure that colleagues gain instruction and support in order to develop their skills.
• Check and ensure work is completed to the required standards and where appropriate suggestions are made to improve service standards.
• Ensure a good level of customer service is provided.
• Complete work related administrative/clerical tasks which may include accurate maintenance of databases and records including stock control.
• Communicate with internal colleagues, external contractors and suppliers to give advice ensuring they receive the appropriate equipment and materials, information, advice and direction is accurate, quickly given and useful.
• Monitor and ensure the safety of equipment reporting faults and breakdown as necessary
• Ensure that safe systems of working are followed, risk assessments are undertaken, to protect both staff and customers and that regulations are enforced and relevant data is recorded.
Closing Date: 23rd July 2019
For an informal discussion, please contact Gary Meddick, StreetCare Operations Manager on 01454 863696
Preferred SkillsEssential Criteria:
•Qualified to C&G NPTC Level 2 & 3 (QCF) in Forestry & Arboriculture including:
NPTC units-201&201(CS30), 203 (CS31), 206&306(CS38), 308(CS39)
NPTC units 205(CS48), 207 (CS45),
NPTC units 301(CS32), 302(CS34), 307 (CS40), 309(CS41)
Level 2 Award in safe use of manually fed wood-chipper
First aid certificate
•Hold a Full Driving Licence category B and able to drive vehicle with trailers up to MAM of 3500kg
•Ability to work from ladders, rope and harness at height
•Demonstrate knowledge of relevant legislation, regulations and codes of practice as well as experience of relevant processes and procedures.
•Have some experience of supervising workers.
•Experience and knowledge of using the relevant equipment.
•You will be able to work as part of a team contributing to effective service delivery.
•Ability to accurately maintain and update records and information.
•Proven level of numeracy skills.
•Licence in herbicide application PA1 & PA6
•Driving licence and CPC to category C1E no restrictions
•Able to operate cable location equipment (CAT)
•C&G NPTC Level 3 Certificate of Competence in Thorough Examination of Arboricultural Equipment (LOLER)
•Member of the Arboricultural Association
Apply for this job
Apply directly to the employer by clicking the button below. Looking for jobs like this? Use our JOB ALERT system on our FREE jobseeker account.See more Tree Surgery jobs
Arbsites Ltd makes no representations or warranties in relation to employment offered or information provided by advertisers. It is the applicant’s duty to fully investigate any company and agree terms before accepting employment.